Wednesday, October 21, 2009

travel friendly + versatile

Well, nothing like a last minute trip, but yesterday evening I found out that I would in fact be traveling to a conference in Austin (my attendance at which had previously been sidelined because of workload)... and I'm leaving today!  I am nerdily excited to be traveling for work for the first time, even if its just a couple hundred miles South.

Lots of "Musts" for my ensemble today:
  • Must be appropriate for the office pre-departure
  • Must be comfy and warm enough for the plane
  • Must transform into business cocktail attire for the welcome reception this evening
  • Must incorporate shoes for Thursday and Friday as well
The final result:





I purchased this dress at BR, mega on sale, for about $25.  It is ridiculously comfortable and is made of some miracle fabric that refuses to wrinkle.  And when the jacket comes off...


... throw on a pashmina, and I'm ready for a cocktail.  The suede and patent Harpers (now on sale!) work well with the rest of the items in my suitcase and are appropriate for day and night events.

Rose Dress - Banana Republic
Grey Cropped Jacket - Ann Taylor Loft
Black Tights - Target
Black Suede & Patent "Harper" Pumps - J.Crew
Gold and Amethyst Feather Earrings - Kendra Scott via Gilt Fuse
Hammered Gold Bangles - Kendra Scott via Gilt Fuse
Gold Medallion Necklace - wedding gift

I had an inquiry regarding AF's dress code... Technically, we are "business formal," Monday through Thursday and "business casual on Friday."  For the men, that transfers to suit and ties / jeans or khakis and a button-down or polo.  For women... eh.  I fully realize and fully appreciate that I have a lot of leeway when it comes to what I wear.  I am the only female attorney on my team and on my wing of the office.  Our managing partner is extremely fashion forward and always dressed appropriately, but rarely in a traditional suit.  If I'm in court, I wear the full lady-lawyer-regalia, but most days (as you can see) I'm able to redefine the rules. Dresses are absolute staples in my closet, as are cardigans and half-jackets of all colors.  I can wear open-toed shoes in the summer but I keep it to subdued peep-toe pumps.  I do always make sure that, whatever I'm wearing, I have a jacket that matches to throw on over it if I'm cold, I have a client meeting, or for some reason I have to run down to the courthouse.  Hope that helps put my little fashion project here into context!

10 comments:

  1. I am also wearing tights from Target today! Liking them so far. For $5 they are pretty great-looking.

    Safe travels & enjoy your time in ATX. I'm actually going to Dallas on Sunday for the Cowboys game... the ol' switcheroo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you're going to be in ATX... I live here how fun! Fair warning it is about 70 and raining and is supposed to be like this again tomorrow as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are a fashion inspiration to me! i am a lawyer too, and I am constantly struggling with what to wear! our office is a mix between office formal/business casual, so i can take some risks, but usually play it safe. i also have to be prepared for the drop in client, last minute trip to court, etc- and i never know how to do that appropriately. you've inspired me with the jackets and dresses options! thank you and have a great trip to austin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this look! You look comfortable, and so put together. Thanks for the ongoing inspiration!

    cozystyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely be checking out target for tights. {hopefully you have okay things to say about them!}

    Cute outfit. Love the BR dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooo - ATX! Will there be any time for fun and frivolry while here with your ATX online girlfriends, or all work & no play?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really adore this blog... you kill me!
    Does anyone in your office read your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  8. do you often do the jacket from ann taylor? I need a good jacket source.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post - bathroom photos ..Keep Posting


    Ron
    bathroom photos

    ReplyDelete

stall scribbles appreciated!